Luke 8:54

"And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid arise." Luke 8:54

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Asking God for Specifics

Last Spring, 2015, I remember praying one day. My family had just sold our house and were preparing to move to a new location and build. There was already a special place between the Lord and I where I'd always go to pray at night. I'd shed a lot of tears there. Shared my heart with God. And it was almost sad to think of leaving it behind, although I know God is not limited by a "prayer closet". So I remember asking the Lord if I could have a new special place to pray in our next home. Outside would be nice. I thought, especially in the summer time. But also some place that felt safe and somewhat secluded. And so I left my request with Him. I knew He'd have the perfect place in mind if that is what He desired. And then I kind of forgot about it.

And so time went on and my family moved. Twice actually, before we finally settled into our new home. The Lord really has blessed us with a beautiful place to live. And so I was out one day to take my usual walk. I love walking. I felt more adventurous than normal and decided not to take the road...and so up the hill near our house I went. It isn't owned by anyone...and it happens to open up to the most beautiful view over the ridge. But you have to climb to find it. So I climbed. And there it was. My new special place. An old little bench sitting on the top of the small hill. It must have been there for a long time. But it was perfect. And so scenic! And I sat there for a minute and thought- how lovely. Then I remembered. I had asked God for this almost exactly a year ago. I'd forgotten. And although it had taken me a little while before I found it...it was here waiting all along.

A bench might seem like a small thing. But it meant a lot to me...and reassures me of both my Father's love for me and that He cares so much about what I ask Him for. He is such a good Heavenly Father. Sometimes I wonder that He could love everyone so much as I know He loves me. I feel like I must somehow take up all His time. I'm so needy. And He is always there. Always working on my behalf. And yet, God is so amazing as to care and seek all men in this same way.

I'm encouraged to ask God for specific things. For little things and big things. I don't want to limit God in any way. I am willing to dare for the impossible. Like Caleb did, in entering the promised land. It didn't matter that there were giants! God was greater and desired to win amazing victories. And he believed God for them, even when no one else did.

"And Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it. But my servant Caleb, because he had another spirit with him, and hath followed me fully, him will I bring into the land whereinto he went; and his seed shall possess it." (Numbers 13:30 and 14:24)

I don't mean to say that we are given everything we ask for. The Bible tell us how that we can ask amiss...and how we need to pray in the will of God. But that also doesn't mean you can't get honest and real with the Lord and bring before Him all things.

"And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:13-15)

I'm thankful for my new little place...and it feels extra special, just knowing that God gave it to me. So what have you asked Him for? What are you daring enough to trust Him to do? The Lord is faithful. And I know that we can trust His answer to us, no matter what it is.



9 comments:

  1. Dear Lynea,

    This little post meant so much to me. The Lord's attention to details isn't just a (amazing) concept anymore. I'm "daring" to ask for some big things right now, work for this spring/summer and also the funds for the upcoming four years of college & nursing school. His choice for the school was a surprise and the idea of becoming a nurse is incredible too because I never dreamed that would be His plan. But in the SMALL things He's been confirming His will and proving that He can be trusted, that He is aware of each specific need before it arises. Walking with Him is a wonderful adventure! Much love to you and Toni!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment Emily was a blessing to me. Thank you! And congrats on pursuing Nursing. You're right -- He can be trusted. I have been really discouraged in my pursuit of schooling (I'm enrolling in a natural health college). And your comment was helpful. Much love in Christ!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Emily. Your comment blessed my heart as well. I appreciate your encouragement and your willingness to believe God and to trust Him. It's encouraging to have sisters along this journey. Glad this blog could be a blessing to you and I'm thankful for all your comments, which have been very much a blessing to Toni and I both.

      Delete
  2. Really like this Nay,I so often forget our God is a detailed person. Think of His creation and the millions of tiny details there is in it,that should be a reminder enough.
    Thanks for sharing this,love you Nay.

    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tashie. Love you dearly.

      Delete
  3. I love this, Nay! Very sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma. God is very sweet isn't He? :)

      Delete
  4. This is so encouraging Nay. "For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth, and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." (Matt. 7:8) What a good God we have. When we ask for bread He doesn't give us a stone. Or if we ask for a fish He won't give us a serpent. But it is His character to take our meager bread and fish and multiply it beyond what we need. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this could encourage Toni. God is so good to us. I'm encouraged too. :)

      Delete