Luke 8:54

"And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid arise." Luke 8:54

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Applesauce and Inspiration

Practical Homemaking/Recipes 


Applesauce and Inspiration 




I thought I would share my little adventure in homemaking today.  Maybe it will inspire you to get into the kitchen and embrace your creative and or culinary side.  Today I made a batch of Apple-Pear Sauce with home-grown fruit that some friends had given to us.  Mom has been canning Pear Butter and Pear Mincemeat (yum!) the last few weeks but these left-over apples and pears were starting to get wrinkled and in dire need of using.  

I had read an article where the apples weren't peeled but only halved and cored and then cooked.  I decided to try.  And to my delight it made a beautiful pink sauce; just like the photos showed in the article.  But then I had a couple dozen wrinkly pears.  I decided to throw those in too.  The result -- delicious pink Apple-Pear Sauce.  :)  It made our house smell like autumn with all the cinnamon and allspice wafting from the big pot.  I loved it!  Plus I made my sauce without sugar.  I added just a few spoonfuls of honey.  Perfect.

Ah, the beauty of a day at home.  Beth and I went and delighted our hens with apple cores.  I then made a Applesauce Cake.  Now the entire household is happy. 










Pink Apple-Pear Sauce



Cored and halved Pink Apples
Peeled pears 
water
Lemon juice
Cinnamon
Alspice
Honey 



Cook apples and pears in a copper bottom pot on low for 45 minutes with a little water to keep it from burning.  Add lemon juice.  (I cut my lemon in half, squeezed it and then dumped it into the pot).  Then stir in spices and honey to taste.  

Strain....   

And vola!


Will post the recipe of the Sugar-free, Dairy-free Applesauce Cake soon!  



   

3 comments: