Luke 8:54

"And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid arise." Luke 8:54

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Practical Homemaking/Recipes




I have never made sorbet, and probably never would have tried, if it weren't for the fact that with warm weather comes the ice cream season.  Here in Idaho, Spring has finally come and so everyone has been eating ice cream...except me.  I was so desperate I went to the "Frozen Health Foods" and hoped that by some miracle I could eat something there.  Well, miracles do happen....but not in this case.  Being dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, and carb-free I guess I was being a little silly to expect anything.  But, while scrounging through every Health Food Freezer, I found sorbet.  Inspiration!  Of course I couldn't eat that sorbet since it had sugar and brown rice syrup....but what if I made my own?  


Strawberries are something I just added to my diet.  And so today I made strawberry sorbet.  It is superb!  (I saved some so that tonight, when the family eats ice-cream, I don't have to be left out!  I think being left out is worse than being deprived.)

So here you go, a GAPS legal sorbet!





Strawberry Sorbet 



1 pound strawberries 
10 teaspoons stevia
tiny pinch of salt
3/4 teaspoon Hempmilk (or water works)
Squeeze of lemon 

Puree berries in blender.  Heat berries, stevia and salt until simmering.  Make sure to stir so it doesn't burn.  Remove from heat and add hempmilk (or water) along with lemon juice.  Freeze for several hours in shallow container or ice cube trays.  Blend before serving.  Serves 2.  
Tip:  Use as small of a spoon as possible.  It makes it last a little longer!  ;) 





  

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE sorbet, Toni! Always have. Even better than ice cream in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now do too! :) I grew up only eating ice-cream....and then in my teens discovered frozen yogurt...which is really yummy, but of course still a dairy product. I think sorbet is heavenly and is a great alternative to ice-cream. I'm content. :) Other than it is a little expensive. Hee hee.

      Delete
  2. I am going to see if Taylor will make this for us! Thank you for sharing your discovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh tell me what you think! If Taylor is feeling creative she can take pictures too and I can put them on my blog as well. :) She should try another flavor....Wouldn't it be fun to have strawberry/kiwi, or mango....the possibilities are endless! And it's SO easy. I think it would be fun to make and sell....my entrepreneurialism is sparked! Haha.

      Delete
  3. This is awesome Toni! I'm so happy for you. To have found such a delicious substitute. I, myself, LOVE sorbet. I would almost agree with Jana....if I hadn't discovered "Ben and Jerry's" chocolate ice cream flavors. :) Haha But anyways. I've had Mango sorbet and it is divine. Homemade would be even better. I want to try making this sometime....since it is something I can eat too. :)

    ReplyDelete