Luke 8:54

"And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid arise." Luke 8:54

Monday, April 7, 2014

Shrimp Scampi

Practical Homemaking 

I love fish.  And fish is healthy.  Perfect.  Well....actually it isn't perfect.  Mom hates fish -- the taste, the smell, everything about it.  And so my culinary skills are greatly lacking when it comes to preparing sea food.  After Mom's one and final try at a fish dish (which resulted in running into town to get a pizza for dinner) I decided I had better learn how to prepare fish from my Grandmother.  Grandma is a full-blooded Sicilian who knows how to cook!  My mom and Grandma are my favorite cooks (simply because they are the best cooks).  But, Grandma knows how to prepare fish!  And so when I mentioned I would love to learn how, Grandma had me over to her house to show me the Italian preparation for Shrimp Scampi All' Agilo.  

Fish, Italians, cooking and eating are part of my heritage, and so I not only got to spend quality time with Grandma, but a tradition and skill was passed on to me by my Grandma...not to mention I got to eat it!  Needless to say, it was a beautiful afternoon.  :) 

                                              (This is a picture of my Grandma's mom's lemon juicer.  
We used it for this dish.)

I thought I would share the recipe (not the shrimp...I ate it all):



Shrimp Scampi 




6 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
4-5 cloves garlic pressed
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
About 3/4 lb. shrimp (tails removed!)
2 Tablespoons parsley
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest 
Dash of hot pepper (optional)
Lemon wedges

In a wide frying pan over medium heat, melt butter.  Stir in onion, oil, garlic, lemon juice, and salt; cook until bubbly. Be sure not to burn the garlic.  (Burnt garlic can add a bitter taste).  Add shrimp to a pan and cook, stirring occasionally until shrimp turns pink (about 5 minutes).  Overcooked shrimp turns hard...not that I would know....ours turned out perfect!  But so Grandma tells me.  :)  Stir in parsley, lemon zest and hot pepper.  Spoon into serving dish and garnish with lemons.  Serve over spaghetti.  Makes 2 servings.  YUM.






4 comments:

  1. It looks amazing Toni! (Yum! :)) Love your great grandmother's lemon juicer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nay. I really like the lemon juicer as well. Grandma Angie's. It's funny...I've been really attracted to that color too. Maybe because it's Spring... The Scampi was delicious. I know fshrimp may not be practical for all larger families finacially, but as a treat it's good to know how to prepare. Plus, you never know...you might live near the sea where shrimp is plentiful, or marry into a family that LOVES fish. I just thought it was good to know how to cook it. :)

      Delete
  2. I am not a big fish eater, either, but this does sound good and not too difficult, either! I love the photos you shared with this, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Auntie Donna. It was scrumptious!

      Delete