Luke 8:54

"And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid arise." Luke 8:54

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sign Language

Practical Homemaking 

Learning something is one thing but teaching something is a different story.


I have loved Sign language ever since I took one class in school.  Mom told me I had to take a second language, and I thought I was being crafty by picking Sign Language.  I ended up falling in love with it. I taught myself mostly with curriculum from our library and later on taking online correspondence courses and a short course by a deaf instructor.  I signed to my younger siblings, who grasped the language quicker than I did. I found that children love Sign Language.  They could communicate easily this way, even before learning the spoken word.   It was amazing to see frustration quelled and tantrums eliminated by having signs to communicate with.  They were able to sign for different foods,  their manners, how they felt and for family members even before they were verbal.  Not only was it a fun and sweet way to communicate with them but I was able to see other benefits as well.  Reducing frustration, learning a second language, expanding their verbal vocabulary and having fun while doing it.  My family fell in love with the language, and eight years later I get to share it with others and their children! Learning Sign Language has been a journey in and of itself.  I know teaching Sign Language will be a whole new experience, but hopefully just as rewarding.  My first class is this Friday at 1:00 at our Clark Fork Library.


http://www.signingtime.com/academy/inhishands/ * 208-304-4070 * inhishandssigning@gmail.com 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Toni, hope today went good with teaching. :) Sign language is a beautiful language!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charity. It went really well. The children caught on so quickly and loved it -- it was really rewarding and I look forward to next time. Thanks for the well wishes.

      Delete